Education: The USA's Problem and Its Solution
With Charles Hugh Smith & Gordon T Long
25 Minutes, 27 Slides
Charles Hugh Smith discusses his latest book "The Nearly Free University &The Emerging Economy" with Gordon T Long. Charles describes his book as a critique of the US higher education system.
A Critique of The US Higher Education System
The Current System of Higher Education is in Crisis:
- Rising Cost of Higher Education,
- No Jobs For the Investment of Time and Money,
- A Declining Yield
We MUST therefore urgently reconnect higher education with the EMERGING ECONOMY and those parts of the economy that are growing and flourishing
The Legacy System is Obselete
- Media and knowledge are no longer scarce -- both are essentially free,
- Students no longer need to be congregated in classrooms to hear oral lectures; the lectures can be distributed at almost no cost via the Internet,
- The factory model of teaching the same texts and curriculum no longer makes sense; every digital device is a library and a display for oral lectures,
- Lessons and methodologies of learning can now be tailored to individual students (adaptive learning) via interactive software,
- The need for live oral lectures as the primary (and presumed to be best) mode of teaching has vanished.
The Diminishing Return Problem
The Fundamentals Have Changed
- Colleges must separate Research and Educational funding,
- Education versus Occupational Training must be differentiated,
- Internships versus Apprenticeship must be understood and why corporations are no longer training,
- "Time is the New Competitive Dimension" and the educational systems needs to understand what this means,
- The New Economy as a consequence requires Soft Skills such as Collaboration, Life Time Learning, Innovation and Entrepreneurial.
Four Central Structural Problems
Gord overlays four arguments regarding the USA's central structural problems which supports Charles' book:
- The Education System MODEL is wrong,
- The US CULTURE regarding educational expectations is wrong,
- Educational FUNDING for specifically training is inappropriate and wrong,
- The FINANCING infrastructure is on a path towards collapse as $100Bs of student loans will soon begin to default in waves. Which is obviously also wrong!
Enjoy this fast moving 25 minute video supported by 29 slides.
Sign up for your FREE 2014 THESIS
THE GLOBALIZATION TRAP
Available January 2014